NAVBARIMAGE

Pages

Saturday, 28 November 2015

Healthy Apple & Berry Crumble


The other night I was sitting trying to go through some lecture notes when I had a real craving for pudding (and to procrastinate). The only issue was, that I had nothing in the house and I had been trying to eat healthier and skip the puddings. I started searching online for some healthy puddings and after reading through several I decided to try making an apple and berry crumble.

I used frozen raspberries for this, but if I'd had a selection of frozen berries I would have used them. Frozen fruit is so much cheaper than fresh, and makes no difference when you are baking!

I'm in love with this recipe - it contains minimal butter, lots of fruit and honey instead of sugar - so it's definitely a healthy option. And because its baked in a ramekin, the portion size is set too!



Serves: 5

Ingredients
7 tbsp oats
2 tbsp flour
0.5 tbsp flaked almonds, chopped
0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp melted butter/margarine
2 cups frozen berries
1 cup apple, diced

  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  2. In a small bowl, mix together the oats, flour, almonds and cinnamon. Add the honey and melted butter and stir to combine.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix together the frozen berries and apple.
  4. Split the fruit mixture evenly between 5 ramekins and evenly sprinkle the oat crumbs on top.
  5. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the berry mixture is bubbling and the apple pieces have softened.

Let me know in the comments if you guys try this recipe out! I'd love to hear your ideas for more healthy puddings I could try.