NAVBARIMAGE

Pages

Tuesday, 1 September 2015

New Season New Me

Let me just start off by saying: OH EM GEE IT'S SEPTEMBER IT'S FINALLY AUTUMN!!!
I love love love Autumn. I don't mind the cold (I'm Scottish for goodness sake), the evenings start to get a big darker but it isn't dark by 3:30pm like it is in the middle of December and finally, oh finally, I can wear ankle boots and dark lipstick again. The joys.

Anyhow, this post is not meant to be about my love for the changing seasons. I'm writing down some thoughts that I've been having recently regarding my health and fitness. By posting this here I'm hoping to maybe inspire some of you guys to make some of my goals your own, as I'm pretty sure there's something for everyone in the extensive list I've got going on below. Also, it will hopefully give me the kick up the bum motivation that I need to hopefully achieve the majority of them!

(follow my instagram toast_oclock, also in this photo I'm sat on a bench in the park recovering from a run haha)

GOAL 1: Drink the appropriate amount of liquid
I came across this fab little hydration calculator where you input your age, height and weight and it tells you how much you should be drinking every day (obviously depending on your level of physical activity you may need to increase this). I'm recommended to drink 7 glasses per day, or 1.6 litres.The great thing is is that any non-alcoholic drink counts towards this - I've always found it a bit tricky to guzzle down litre after litre of water but luckily I get about half from the other drinks I drink during the day (milk, fruit juice, fruit tea). It's also recommended that someone my age should drink 3 glasses of milk per day, although since I love milk I definitely already get this.

GOAL 2: Eat my 5-A-day
Yes, this is probably the most obvious one on anyone's healthy living goals but it's something that I've been working towards more recently (and hope to continue). My only issue is that it can be expensive to buy fresh fruit and vegetables.

GOAL 3: Prepare more meals at home
Last year I occasionally skipped breakfast when I was running late for lectures and I've been guilty of going to Subway for a foot long at lunchtime to make up for skipping breakfast. It's not only unhealthy, but also expensive. This year I'm determined to eat breakfast at home every day and to have a packed lunch for the days I'm at university over lunchtime. I'm pretty good at preparing home cooked meals for dinner, but I need to make sure I'm getting the recommendation of 2 portions of fish (one oily) per week.

GOAL 4: Exercise for 60 minutes
I've got plans to get a gym membership at the university sports village as we get ridiculous student discounts and fitness classes are also included in this. I'm hoping to go there most days of the week and also go for more runs when the weather is nice, or do at home workouts when the weather is bad. It's also a fair walk to uni (even further to the gym) from my house, but I'm not including that in this.

GOAL 5: Get a better night's sleep
I'm going to put my hands up here and admit that I've essentially become nocturnal in the past week. I stayed up late one night and after that my sleep schedule has been a wreck. I also have been sleeping way too much which just makes me feel lethargic all day. I'm going to aim for between 8 and 9 hours each night.

I'm going to be posting weekly updates letting you guys know how I am getting on, and also as a record for myself. Let me know in the comments your thoughts!