NAVBARIMAGE

Pages

Saturday, 26 September 2015

6 movie survival tips you should ignore


I was on tumblr the other day and...
well if that's not a cracking first line to start a post with, I don't know what is. Have you worked out that this post is going to be super random and ranty yet? Let me start over, before I interrupted myself (??)

I was on tumblr the other day and I came across these "movie survival tips". I've handpicked some of the most useful/ridiculous ones to show you guys. You can find the original list of 22 here. Some of these I already knew were nonsense, like #4. and #6. and others I thought were genuinely true like #1. and #3.

Before we get started, I just want to say that I'm not a doctor or any kind of medical professional and the following is based on information that I got from reputable websites such the NHS website. If any of the information below is incorrect, please do let me know so I can change it.




#1. The way to treat a jellyfish sting is to pee on it
WRONG. This is unlikely to help and may make the situation worse (not to mention both parties are going to be hugely uncomfortable and awkward both during and after...). Doing this can actually activate unfired stinging cells which will make them release more poison. What you should do is carefully remove any stinging cells from the skin using a razor blade, credit card or shell and then use painkillers for the pain. Television has been lying to us, even good old Friends has it all wrong:




#2. To stop bleeding from a flesh wound, apply a tourniquet
WRONG. In Jurassic Park, Ian Malcolm applies a tourniquet to a flesh wound to stop the bleeding. A tourniquet stops blood flow to the entire leg which leads to tissue death, so if this was real life he would probably have lost his entire leg. You would be better simply applying pressure to the wound. Tourniquets should be left to those with proper training.

#3. When someone is having a seizure you should jam something into their mouth to stop them from swallowing their tongue
WRONG. Contrary to popular belief (and to what I thought until now) it is physically impossible to swallow your tongue. Your tongue is rooted to the floor of your mouth by a small mucous membrane called the lingual frenulum. Prying open someone's mouth and then jamming something into their mouth while they seize is going to end up injuring them. They could also potentially choke on whatever it is they now have in their mouth! The best thing to do is to let the person seize whilst protecting their head from impact and also roll them onto their left side into the recovery position to stop them from choking on their saliva or vomit.

#4. When you get a nose bleed, tip your head back
WRONG. My younger sister gets nose bleeds all the time so I like to think I'm a bit of an expert on this. If you tip your head back, the blood will rush down your throat and you'll probably choke on it. What you should do is sit down, lean forward and breathe through your mouth. Firmly pinch the soft part of your nose, just above your nostrils for 10 to 15 minutes. This allows the blood to drain down your nose rather than down your throat.

#5. If you're stuck somewhere without water, drink your own pee
WRONG. How does this even make sense!? Your pee is fluid from your body that is full of waste materials that your body needs to get rid off, such as salt. Don't put it back into your body! It will just make you even more dehydrated.

#6. Defibrillators bring people back to life
WRONG. This has to be one of the most annoying things to see, particularly in medical dramas on TV although it's also common in films too. Defibrillators work by temporarily stopping a still-beating heart in the hope that when it starts again it will start in the proper rhythm again. It's something I've only ever noticed since watching all 11 seasons of Grey's Anatomy this summer - they use the paddles while the heart is still beating, it just isn't beating in the normal rhythm. (Trust Grey's Anatomy to be doing it right) Using the paddles on a heart that has stopped is pointless, but that doesn't stop it from happening in other television shows and films.



This is a bit of a different post from me today, it's a little bit ranty but I hope it was also a little bit informative? I think I'm going to try to do one post per week about something that in the vaguest sense you could call lifestyle and then one or two posts per week about beauty things. Sound good? And I promise not so many random posts like this one. Thanks for reading!