NAVBARIMAGE

Pages

Wednesday, 17 June 2015

A song that clears my head

Jay-Z and Kanye West - "Ni**as in Paris"



"Ni**as in Paris" is, undoubtedly, one of my favourite songs of all time. I have absolutely no idea why I love this song so much. All I know is that I'm still trying to get it word-perfect. One day I'll manage it. One day.

I've mentioned in a previous post this month that this genre of music is probably not what people expect me to like, but tough. I do. I really do. In particular, this song. And a hell of a lot of other people seem to agree with me. "Ni**as in Paris" peaked at number 10 on the UK singles chart and remained in the top 40 for ten weeks.

My favourite lines in the song are: "She said Ye can we get married at the mall? // I said look you need to crawl 'fore you ball // Come and meet me in the bathroom stall // And show me why you deserve to have it all" because I just think that the "crawl(ing)" and "bathroom stall" could somehow be related....maybe? Is it just my dirty mind that makes that link? And, of course, the most well known line: "Got my ni**as in Paris // And they going gorillas".

Whenever I'm feeling a bit stressed I put this song on just because it clears my head entirely. I think it might be to do with how much focus I have to put onto thinking what the next lyrics are and then forming the words and singing them (or if I'm in public, just moving my lips). Last month when I was sitting my end of year exams at university I would put my headphones in and have this song on repeat while I walked to my exam just to stop me panicking and getting me in the zone (the last line is "I'm definitely in my zone" after all).

Let me know what songs you listen to when you need to clear your head.