NAVBARIMAGE

Pages

Tuesday, 23 June 2015

A cover of a bad song

Ben Howard - "Call Me Maybe"

originally Carly Rae Jepsen


Everyone will have heard "Call Me Maybe" at some point. Probably many times, whether they wanted to or not. It was the song of the summer in 2012 - playing constantly in shops, on television shows and on the radio. There was no getting away from it. The first time I heard it it was nice, it was a novelty. By the tenth time I was sick of it. 

"Call Me Maybe" sat at number 1 on the UK singles chart for three weeks and in the top 10 for 12 consecutive weeks. I'm blaming this on those four catchy-as-hell lines: "Hey I just met you // And this is crazy // But here's my number // So call me maybe".

So when I saw that Ben Howard, one of my favourite artists, had covered this song I thought that it was impossible to improve this song. But boy, was I wrong. It doesn't even sound like the same song. Listen to it for yourself if you don't believe me.


Please let me know in the comments before which version you prefer and if you have found any other covers I should listen to. Thanks for reading!